Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Who is (MMD) Moveable Mystery Dinners?

Welcome to (MMD) "Moveable Mystery Dinners.'"

There are a lot of mystery dinner companies out there.  Certainly more than when I started performing this rather special kind of theater back in 1993.

There are some which are franchises, with copyrighted names and logos and privately-owned companies throughout the country, and (who knows) maybe the world.  There are some that are "mom and pop" operations, and some that fancy themselves major corporations, not unlike any business or company any where.
There are some, believe it or not, who aspire to "high art."  No, I'm not kidding.

Some do it strictly for the money (not that there's anything wrong with that).  Again, believe it or not, I know mystery dinner show producers who have bought houses, raised kids, and made a living doing this sort of nonsense (I mean..."fun for all!!").

(Not that making money is a bad thing.  Certainly, we can't pay for catering, costumes, actors, writers, musicians and props without it.)

And then there are some, like us here at MMD, who are in it primarily for the fun.  Most of us here at MMD have other sources of income to live on: day jobs, pensions, parents and spouse who work so we can pursue what we like to do.  Which is act, direct, write and entertain.

I think there is enough room in the marketplace to support all these different endeavors.  Notice I titled this piece "Us AND Them," not "us versus them." Contrary to popular beliefs (of some people), I don't believe this particular form of entertainment is a zero-sum game.  I do believe (a cliche I know, but true) that "a rising tide lifts all boats."

My experience is that once a person has seen and enjoyed an evening of mystery dinner theater, he or she will want to come back for more, though usually something different, a variety of stories that any one company would be hard pressed at best to supply.

Indeed, the question I am asked most often by audience members after a show is "How soon does the show change?" expressing, I believe, a pent-up desire for more of the same; not less, nor the same thing over again.
Likewise, when I see a movie or show, or eat a dinner or hear a song I enjoy, what is the likelihood I will have had my fill for a year or a day or a lifetime?  Not very likely, I think.  It's hard therefore for me to understand why we in the dinner show biz (whether hobby, or business or art form)  don't band together and cross-pollinate.
I think there's more to be said about this.  What do you think?  I'd love to hear.

Meanwhile, we at MMD are planning a show for Fathers' Day evening in Long Beach.  I know of some Mothers' Day shows (and weekly events) I can refer you to as well.  Nothing, I think you'll find, is as much fun in it's own way, as murder mystery dinner shows.  Why don't you try one soon?  Call me for tickets or more info.  And we hope to see you soon at tableside.

TTFN,
Bob May, Producer/Director, 
(714) 788-1745
actorconsultant@aol.com



Make sure to LIKE us on FACEBOOK!


No comments:

Post a Comment